Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Boolean Searching

With most searches the easiest way to get the most hits is to just type each keyword in separated by spaces. This searches for every website with 1 or more of these keywords and orders them from sites with all 3 keywords to sites with 1 keyword, (sites with the most common keyword being listed last). If I were to use a boolean search and add an & in between each keyword I'll only only be shown pages containing all 3 words and nothing else. If I wanted to be more specific I could put the keywords in quotation marks ("") to search for sites containing that exact string of letters in that order which will further minimize the results shown. If I was to only look for pages relating to my search that only came from university sources, I could either add University as another keyword, or I could restrict my search to domains of only .edu . But I feel a simple broader search should be performed first as in a lot of cases the information you desire will be relatively easy to find. If at first you can't find it then I suggest moving onto more in depth searching techniques. In my search for "First Mcdonalds Toy", I used no boolean and my search generated many results as it was very broad (how many sites contain the words First, Mcdonalds or Toy?). However the first result of my google search gave me exactly what I desired to find out and thus I didn't feel the need to take the searching to the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment