Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Module 1 Telnet

Well i guess this blog is in past tense considering I wrote my reflections and outcomes elsewhere before setting this up, so i guess ill do the ol' cut and paste job, hope you don't mind. hope I don't get marked down for it :P but here goes

Task A

I was familiar with telnet, used to use it back in my early days of the internet, mucking around, telnetting to friends ports and what not. So this task was quite simple for me, but I noticed that no matter what email I entered to print the list to, I never received the list. So I feel there is an issue on their end. I’ll record in later logs if I do in time receive the email showing the list. This task was quite simple, but by no means shows the true potential of Telnet. But as stated in the notes, Telnet is relatively obsolete. Most things these days have alternatives which are much more user friendly and more visually appealing then a collection of ASCII characters.

ahhh I can update here, I did recieve the email on my hotmail account, still don't know why it never came through to my curtin account, maybe because I keep spelling curtin as curtain. lol. my bad

Task B

After viewing this I was quite impressed, and realized some people live sad, sad lives. I actually watched the whole thing, I had to see the light saber battle between Obi wan and Darth Vader. Like a lot of programming languages, some people always manage to get more out of it then its developers ever imagined. And it’s people like this that take it to the limits and bring about change, bring about bigger and better things and raise the bar for the next generation. Being an avid gamer, I’ve always admired Steven Polge’s work, with his first creation of the Reaper Bot for the game Quake. (Bots are typically computer controlled characters that are meant to play as well, if not better then a human.) Before his reaper bot, other bots acted clumsily and played very poorly, whereas his bots acted human like, and changed the ways of gaming AI forever. I feel the best way to describe Telnet would be to compare it to Windows Remote Desktop, such as comparing QBasic to Visual Basic. Essentially both programs are intended for the similar purposes but both have a different look and feel to its predecessor with the newer ones having more features and being more powerful. Being able to complete more complex tasks in fewer commands.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to read that you eventually found out why you never received the email. And it's always something minute like wrong spelling lol.

    And I totally agree with you...some people live sad, sad lives hehehe...to be honest I didn't watch the whole thing. But having read your comment about the creators bringing about change and development (which I couldn't agree more), I will actually give it another chance.

    ReplyDelete